A helicopter ride anywhere is a pretty special experience, but one that will see you soaring over the dramatic skyline of Hong Kong?
Well, that has to be up there on the bucket list for many people.
One thing that makes a helicopter ride here so very dramatic is that you can fly right over the amazingly tall sky scrapers that jostle for space on the city’s prime real estate.
But as well as enjoying the amazing sight of these super tall buildings, the amazing bird’s eye view also provides you with the incredible sight of the wonderful protected parkland that surrounds this congested metropolis.
The azure blue of the ocean beneath only serves as a contrast to the deep greens of the mountain parklands and the concrete jungle of the city itself.
All in all, a helicopter ride over Hong Kong will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
But surely taking such a ride is one that only the privileged and the rich can enjoy?
Well, we’re not going to say that it’s cheap, but if you know where to look, then it is possible to have a helicopter experience for a price that won’t quite break the bank.
Hong Kong Peninsula
The luxury Peninsula Hotel offers some good helicopter packages in association with the company Heli Services. These include its “fly and relax” tour, “fly and dine” option, and the “flight seeing tour” – each fairly self-explanatory, and discussed in more detail below.
In addition, if you book a room at the hotel, you can also take advantage of a helicopter transfer to and from the airport (at an extra cost, naturally).
So, what can you expect from such a tour?
- First of all, you ascend to the Clipper Lounge in the hotel, which itself offers a stunning view of the city below. Located on the 30th floor, vertigo sufferers can begin to acclimatize themselves to the thrill that is soon to follow.
- The packages on offer begin with a shared tour, in which you share the 6-seater bird with other passengers. Flying on the company’s MD920 helicopter, your tour will last approximately 15 minutes, and take you all around Hong Kong Island and the famous Victoria Harbour.
You can take this flight during daylight hours from 09:00 daily. The cost is HK$1,999 per person.
- For something a little more personal, you can also take a 15-minute private helicopter tour. This will take you and your chosen companions swooping over the beaches and bays of Hong Kong Island, as well as seeing the wonderful skyline of Victoria Harbour.
This tour costs HK$9,995 for approximately 15 minutes.
- If 15 minutes doesn’t seem long enough, then a 30-minute private tour (HK$18,000) will see you flying over Kowoloon, Sai Kung, and the Hong Kong Geopark, in addition to the regular tour mentioned above.
- For HK$26,500, you can enjoy a private 45-minute experience that will take in other delights such as the New Territories and Lantau Island.
There are also other specialist sightseeing tours on offer. These include:
- The Michael Wong Experience. Actor Michael is something of a local celebrity in Hong Kong. In addition, he’s a helicopter pilot.
This experience allows you to meet and fly with the celebrated actor himself. At a price of HK$15,000, this includes a 20-minute flight, an autographed photo, and a photo of you with Michael aboard the helicopter.
- Filming and photography flights are also available. For a cost starting from HK$35,000 per hour, you can hire a helicopter to get some amazing and unique shots and footage of the city.
- And what about the ultimate wedding proposal? Charter your own private helicopter for a cost of HK$35,000 per hour (although you can book this for a minimum of 15 minutes pro rata), and you can video and/or photograph this amazing life moment!
- In addition to the flight itself, you can schedule a landing anywhere you choose (a complimentary visit and consultation prior to the day to organise this with the operations team is included in the price). This certainly would be one marriage proposal in a million…
- You can also book a VIP/charter service to allow you travel to and from the 30th floor Clipper Lounge at the Peninsula Hotel to the airport or to Macau. For prices, contact Heliservices directly.
- And, as we mentioned above, you can combine your helicopter tour with a wonderful lunch or dinner for up to five people. This option allows you to choose the dining experience from one of the many venues in the hotel, including The Verandah, Felix, or Chesa.
There is also the “fly and relax” tour that includes a 15-minute sightseeing flight, followed by a 60-minute treatment (massage or facial) in the Peninsula Spa.
- You can then enjoy lunch or afternoon tea by the pool, and also get full use of the relaxation area, thermal suite, harbour view sauna, crystal steam room, experience shower, and infrared ice fountain.
Phew! If that doesn’t relax you after the white-knuckle thrill of a helicopter flight, then nothing will!
- The cost of the fly and relax package begins from HK$14,715 for two people. As the number of people goes up, the price becomes proportionally cheaper, at HK$17,575 for three people and HK$20,435 for four.
Please be aware that children under the age of 2 cannot be accommodated in any of the above tours.
Helicopters Hong Kong
The aptly named, Helicopters Hong Kong offers small, 4-seater helicopter tours over the city (1 for the pilot, 3 for passengers) and a slightly larger 6-seater option.
Prices and durations of the tours vary, and you’ll need to contact the company directly for these details.
The website Spoilt also offers a couple of helicopter rides over Hong Kong. These include a trip where you join with others for the experience, or a private helicopter tour that starts from HK$12,380.